Tamara,

Thanks for your comments. I've experienced similar situations with
students' "knowledge" and "understanding."

I teach adult students (mid 20s-60s) and I find that many of them have
reading problems. So, what I do is teach reading lessons to the entire
class. I go through the five components of reading (phonemic awareness,
phonics, fluency, comprehension, and vocabulary). I use the course
materials to create lessons that address the issues. I tell them the
first couple of class meetings that I will be reviewing the reading
components.

I do a number of reading assessments with them individually to measure
their competency of each component. This has made a world of difference
with my students. They know "officially" what their issues are and I
provide them with strategies to tackle and overcome them. I see my
students with comprehension problems, for example, highlighting text,
writing down questions, circling words they don't know, etc.

The time I put into teaching the reading components pays off. I've
experienced more student engagement with the text, with each other and
with me; improved writing assignments; and I've seen an increase in
student grades.

Rebekah

Dr. Rebekah McCloud
Director, Upward Bound Program
Student Development & Enrollment Services
University of Central Florida
Phillips Hall 208E
P.O. Box 161920
University of Central Florida
Orlando, FL 32816-1920
(407) 823-0344

>>> Nic Voge <[log in to unmask]> 1/8/2009 6:33 PM >>>
Hello Tamara,
I do a lot of work in this area myself with students. I don't refer to

my work with students as "tutoring", but rather as "individual
consultations". Students can seek out an individual consultation for

any number of reasons, including, of course, reading. I can tell you
that many of the sessions that I have that end up focusing on reading,

do not start out having that aim. Often, students present the issue as

time management or in some way course-specific, but upon discussion I

judge it to be connected to reading. Having said that, I don't see
reading as separate from other aspects of what might be called
"academic work". When I work with students explicitly on reading
individually, and when I address the topic in the courses that I
teach, I often address the issue as "information management" or
"reading efficiency". The issue is extremely common, but not fully
understood, I don't think. On this campus, it is not unusual for
students to  be assigned 4-7 books (often scholarly books) and a
several hundred page reader (course packet) comprised of scholarly
articles, excerpted book chapters and the like. Though not fully
appreciated, reading multiple texts of a variety of genres for various

purposes requires different knowledges, skills and strategies than
reading textbooks in isolation. So, I am skeptical of students'
statements that you report that the "understand" the material.
According to whose criteria of understanding? And, for many university

courses, understanding is the bare minimum of the kind of knowledge
students are expected to demonstrate about assigned texts. That
students see merely understanding and "getting through the material"
as the aim, may well be a major part of the problem. While I work with

many students on reading, the vast majority of students on campus--
though often struggling with reading expectations and demands--do not

seek me or anyone else out for assistance. So, I'm not sure how you
would get students to use the services you mention. In my program, my

our study strategies mentors will definitely work on reading, and I
believe the writing program tutors work on reading-related issues, but

we do not offer a specifically designated reading tutoring format of
service.

Nic
On Jan 8, 2009, at 3:12 PM, Pratt, Tamara wrote:

> Has any one offered a tutoring session that focused on reading
> effectiveness and wasn't subject specific? What did you call the
> tutoring i.e. Reading tutoring, Reading effectiveness tutoring,
> Accelerated reading tutoring???? Reading skills tutoring ....please

> note, this would not be for developmental reading....
>
> Many of our intense reading courses seem to be high risk (for D, F,

> or W) but when we offer tutoring, students aren't accessing it.
> Those who do, say they understand the material but they just can't
> get through the reading material to do well on the exams. Any
> thoughts?
>
> Please reply to me privately.
>
> Tammy Pratt, Director
> Assessment and Learning Center
> University of Oklahoma
> 270 Wagner Hall, 1005 Asp Ave.
> Norman, OK  73019
> 405 - 325 - 4336
> http://uc.ou.edu/alc.htm
>
> University College is moving and has a new address beginning January

> 1, 2009. Please note the change of address above.

> web browser to

The classroom remains the most radical space of possibility in the
academy.
--bell hooks
The university...becomes subversive...when students are encouraged to

learn how to learn.
--Robin Lakoff
____________________________________
Dominic (Nic) J. Voge
Study Strategies Program Coordinator
University of California, Berkeley
Student Learning Center
136 Cesar Chavez Student Center  #4260
Berkeley, CA 94720-4260

(510) 643-9278
http://slc.berkeley.edu

Nic*s Available Meeting Times Fall 2008

Office Hours

After class Thursdays (4-5) and Fridays 4-5.

By-Appointment Hours

Mondays: 3-5

Tuesdays: 2-3

Wednesdays: 10-12