Here at Frostburg State University, we recently merged content tutoring
services and writing center services.  After one semester, the success
of the operation, and the number of tutors we have been able to train
and retain, has proven fruitful.  The number of students who received
services did not decrease; although, there was not a great spike in
numbers either.

The idea of one place where students can go to get assistance for
selected 100 and 200-level courses, as well as writing assistance for
any course level, has created a sense of centrality and camaraderie
among tutors across multiple disciplines.  Math tutors can now "talk
shop" with writing tutors, and they can also work in the same space.
This has proven beneficial for students, tutors, and the Director
because we are all working together with similar methods in order to
achieve the same goal. It also gives the tutors a central work and
training place, which gives them a sense identity and place in the
academic setting.

I thought I would give you some reasons why the merging of a Tutoring
and Writing Center can be beneficial.  I do understand the reasoning and
importance of the different centers maintaining individual autonomy, but
at FSU the merger has reaped some wonderful benefits.

Best,

Mark E. Smith, M.A.
Director of the Tutoring Center
Frostburg State University