I think there are merits to both approaches.  However, if the merger
necessitated the elimination of the writing center director or tutoring
center director, I'd have numerous concerns -- loss of program expertise
in particular.

I may have significant bias; I am a writing center/tutoring center
coordinator who has directed "solo" writing centers in the past. It seems
to me, though (and I'd welcome discussion of this topic), that writing
center directors are able to train diverse kinds of tutors, but directors
without training in rhetoric and composition may not have the expertise
needed to supervise and train writing center tutors.

A few years ago, a colleague at a different college wanted to bring the
Writing Center under her control (she was not at the time the writing
center director).  As part of a conversation about how to break the news
to her writing center director, she made several statements that indicated
she (my colleague) just wasn't the right person for the job.

She said she wanted to see tutors marking every error and she advocated
what I felt was a punitive use of the writing center (indicating, for
example, that the service was for remedial writers only, and also saying
that the writing tutors were there to help those students who were too
"dim" about writing to be in a regular composition classroom).

Anyone who has been in the field of writing for a while and/or who has
trained in rhet/comp will see the problems that inhere in these
statements.

--Michelle Stevier

On Thu, January 8, 2009 5:43 pm, Masuda, Howard wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
>             Happy New Year!
>
>             I am hoping I might get some reasons or arguments for not
> merging our University Writing Center (in existence about 15 years) and
> our University Tutorial Center (in existence for 30 years).  We are both
> located in separate rooms on the first and second floors in the Library.
> The Provost would like to bring the Writing Center down to the first
> floor and possibly consolidate the two Centers.  Both Centers have been
> functioning effectively and efficiently separately for all of these
> years.  If you need any more information to respond to this inquiry,
> please let me know.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Howard Masuda
>

> Dr. Howard Masuda
>
> Director, University Tutorial Center
>
> California State University, Los Angeles
>
> Library Palmer Wing 1062A
>
> (323) 343-3972

> browser to

Michelle Stevier
Writing Center & Supplemental Instruction Coordinator
Academic Success Center, Dickinson State University
Lower Level, Stoxen Library
Dickinson, ND  58601
(701) 483-2122 (direct) or 2999

"If
By God
We are a primitive
Futureless band
At least we avoid
That flatland
Urban trap
Of measuring life
With
Time."  -- Rod McQueary, "Life and Times"