Lorraine and I had a breakfast meeting that went longer than expected so we chose to bird Northshore Park in downtown St. Petersburg today. The tide was extremely low so most shorebirds were offshore, but the frigid north wind kept the people off the beach as well. You can always find cool birds here in winter and today was no exception as we enjoyed a single American White Pelican who cavorted offshore with a juvenile Brown Pelican. Very cool to see but rare at Northshore were 5 Red-breasted Merganser and a Horned Grebe. We also saw a Common Loon, 2 Pied-billed Grebe, a Lesser Black-backed Gull, 3 Marbled Godwits, 6 Herring Gulls, Royal and Forster's Terns and over 400 Black Skimmers. Over 100 Lesser Scaup were scattered throughout Coffee Pot Bayou and a flyover Red-tailed Hawk was seen over Coffee Pot Park.

Don Margeson
St. Petersburg