Paul Lehman saw the Masked Duck at Alligator Lake, Lake City, at about
10:30 this morning. He suggested that I update the directions to the
spot. From the parking lot off Country Club Road, walk north (not east
as I wrote the first time). The trail will turn west, and after a while
it will turn south; you'll have walked about a mile at this point. From
the point where the trail turns south, go 100-150 yards and look to your
left. A handkerchief tied to a willow marks the spot, but Paul missed it
the first time around because he expected to see it at eye level. It's
below the level of the trail, two or three feet above the shoreline. So
if you're walking south, you'll be looking left (east) to see the duck
when you've found the handkerchief. Look for a tree or some sticks that
John Hintermister described as looking like a W and that Paul called a
"three-pronger." To the right of those are some dead stumps; John calls
them stobs. This is the area where the bird has been hanging out. Paul
saw it a little left of the W this morning, about halfway between the W
and the shore.

The Harris's Sparrow was still present this morning at the beginning of
Paynes Prairie's La Chua Trail. The gate was open at 7:10, we were on
the spot by 7:40, and the sparrow appeared at about 7:50. So the earlier
the better. Last weekend it appeared at 8:08.

Rex Rowan
Gainesville