Florida birders,
The FOSRC has an upcoming meeting in early February and we have not
received documentation for several of the fantastic species seen around
the State recently that are on the review list (those species marked
with an asterisk at
http://www.fosbirds.org/RecordCommittee/Offcial%20State%20List%202008.htm)
. Documentation is currently lacking for Neotropic Cormorant, Masked
Duck, Say's Phoebe, Cassin's Kingbird (Lake Co.),  several Iceland
Gulls, Thayer's Gull, etc..  We re-assess birds that return in the
following years (e.g., Say's Phoebe in Lake County).  FOSRC form are
available are available on the web at the FOS wesite
(http://www.fosbirds.org/RecordCommittee/Offcial%20State%20List%202008.htm);
documentation should be sent to me, the Secretary.

I again would like to encourage all Florida birders to participate in
the FOSRC review process by submitting FOSRC forms and additional
documentation for review list species. In my opinion the FOSRC review
process makes the birding tradition in Florida much more cohesive and
transparent.  Nearly every State and Province on the continent has a
similar review process, but they are only functional as long as the
birding public participates.  In some States (California, Texa,), a good
majority  of active birders submit documentation for every review bird
they see, not just the ones they find.   Some of the best documentation
that we have received lately has been by birders visiting Florida from
outside the State. In Florida, only a small percentage of active birders
participate fully in the process.  A case in point, only one photo (and
no documentation forms) have been submitted  for the Harris's Sparrow in
Alachau Co., which has probably been seen by100s of birders.

Keep up the good birding,

Andy Kratter
Secretary, FOSRC