Hi Bill & FL Birders,

Yes, the first trail you come to from the main parking lot is the "center dike".  If you follow the very short park road as far as it goes, it ends at the boat lauch.  The correct trail starts north of the boat lauch area, which has limited parking.

Bill mentions Glossy Ibis.  Look closely; White-faced have been seen at the park also, though none reported this year.

Seeing "the W" is a kinda zen thing.  Look for stobs, as locals call 'em.  That would be "stubs" to out-liers.  Facing east, three co-joined on the left is "the W".  Initially the duck was between the W and some assorted stobs to the right.

But now it seems it's edged south by a football field or so.

Whatever that is.

Beware the many female Ruddy Ducks, good luck and have fun!

Bedazzled by the inauguration,
Dotty Robbins
High Springs

-- [log in to unmask] wrote:
I saw the female Masked duck this afternoon, in the company of a male ruddy duck and in the vicinity of two other male ruddy ducks.
(Hmmmmm.  Are they in the same genus?)
She was 100 yards or so further South from Pat Burns' handkerchief.
I tied another handkerchief to a cypress sapling near where the duck was today.
(At some point, I guess, someone will have to retrieve the laundry.)
She was on the far side of the grassy patch 25 yards or so out from shore.
I never did see the W or three stobs that some have described.
For those who, like me, haven't been to Alligator Lake before, don't walk on the first trail you come to--it leads to a dead end at the end of a long dike.
Go to the Montgomery Trail, at the end of the park road, and walk what some describe as a mile, but my bones feel is a lot longer.

Also seen:  a bald eagle
3 Red shouldered hawks
100+ ibises, mostly white but many glossy.
Dozens of lesser scaup and ring-necked ducks
Several hooded mergansers
Several phoebes, palm warblers, blue gray gnatcatchers, ruby crown kinglets

Happy birding
Bill Phelan
Tallahassee