Yesterday, 19-Jan-2009, my wife and I observed 35 sandhill cranes while
we were travelling on SR-42 and CR-452 in southern Marion County.  They
were in the fields south of SR-42 and west of CR-452 starting at
approximately 0.8 mi (1.23 km) west of the Ocklawaha River on SR-42 and
ending at approximately 0.9 mi (1.43 km) south of SR-42 on CR-452.
These fields are used year around by cranes, but the numbers are much
higher in the winter when migratory birds are present.  Not what people
are seeing in Paynes Prairie, but this area is easily viewed from both
roads.  The intersection of SR-42 and CR-452 is at 28.983205 x
-81.783425 for those of you who use GPS or mapping software.

Regards,
Larry Connor
Eustis, FL