I have 3 Hooded Mersangers the last couple of days who are in the
retention pond in my back yard. The adult male is of course easy for me
to figure out but the brown one is harder. The books say the juveniles
look like the female. Is there a way to tell which is which?  This one
does not seem to have a white under belly but it does not rear up and
flap its wings as much as the male so I can't see the underbelly good.
Here is front, back view and one with the adult male in case relative
size is a key to identification.
http://www.martinosworld.com/Birds/HoodedMersangerBrown1.jpg
http://www.martinosworld.com/Birds/HoodedMersangerBrown2.jpg
http://www.martinosworld.com/Birds/HoodedMersangerBrown3.jpg
I know they are not rare but I'm having a lot of fun watching their
antics and it would be nice to know what I am observing. Thanks.
**
Linda Martino
St. Augustine, FL