This evening, 1/27, I met Lyn and Brooks Atherton at the beach on Daytona Beach Shores to look for the Vega Gull. Several thousand gulls later we were successful in finding the bird. Notice the dark eye, the hot pink legs, and the dark mantle color, that is noticeably darker than the Herring Gull beside it.  We also found 3 beautiful 1st winter Glaucous Gulls. The increase in Glaucous Gulls shows that there are definitely new birds coming into the area. There is no telling what will appear next. Lyn also found the Kumlien's Gull before I arrived. We also watched a lightning fast Parasitic Jaeger blast through the gulls sitting offshore beyond the breakers.

Michael

Michael Brothers
Marine Science Center
Ponce Inlet