Folks,
I'm posting to the general board because I thought some others might find this information useful:
When I lived in the Keys many of you might recall my numerous posts about kayak birding, especially at the Dry Tortugas N.P.  Loggerhead Key and Hospital Key were my usual destinations and both are a considerable distance from Garden / Bush Keys.  I would recommend the trip only to someone in good physical condition with previous paddling experience (preferably open water paddling).  At times there are strong currents and sizable swells to contend with as well as the typical heat / sun exposure etc.  From the low profile of a kayak Hospital Key is not even visible and experience traveling open water via compass is a good asset.  While I'm on the subject you cannot land on Hospital Key, but birding from your kayak is permitted.  All this being said, I would still never the less strongly recommend camping at least for one night on Garden Key... as you will certainly maximize the Keys' birding potential.  Falling asleep to the calls of the boisterous sooty tern / brown noddy colony is something never to forget.  As an aside... the boat captain on the Yankee Freedom will usually make a close pass to Hospital Key (if you ask politely) so you can get the Masked Booby's on your return trip.
Good Birding,
C.K. Borg
Tallahassee