Can anyone point me to research about the importance and effectiveness of faculty collaboration with students services professional staff, especially as it impacts diverse student populations and their retention and persistence?

I am trying to build a case that the consulting work my faculty colleagues and I do with the professional staff in student services, especially student diversity and disabled student services, is vital to our roles as faculty with dual appointments in both academic affairs and student affairs. The trick, of course, is being able to quantify the impact in some way.

The most direct way the consultation can be measured is numbers of hours spent and the increased success of the student population based on the consultations. Of course, this last piece is very complex and not at all easy to quantify because there are a multitude of events, motivations, and phenomena that lead to student success or non-success.

There is also the fact of ease of access to course content experts provided by having faculty in student services working closely with specific student populations. Again, this contact should lead to increased student retention and persistence.

Does anybody know of any research that would help me clarify my argument and provide the necessary data to support the position that having faculty working in developmental education within a student affairs unit is about more than just the student contact time in the learning centers?

Thanks for your help,
Angela Huettl
Indiana University South Bend