Good evening BESTSers,

This is an older article but is still good to read.  The article
goes into detail about the food we waste in this country.  It's
alarming to think of all the energy, land, nutrients, and money
that go into growing, transporting, processing, and cooking this
food only to be trashed, which requires more energy and land for
disposal.  Rather than treat this food waste as waste, we should
think of it as a resource for energy production.   Because food
waste will always exist, we must handle it in a sustainable way
through anaerobic digestion for the production of biogas and
nutrients.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/18/weekinreview/18martin.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

Have a good weekend,
Ryan