-----Original Message-----
From: Bioenergy and Sustainable Technology Society
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John Hurford
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 12:33 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Does a Big Economy Need Big Power Plants?

A couple of points.

The economy of scale resulted in the larger electric utility companies
(e.g. FP&L) being able to sell electricity considerable cheaper than
the existing distributed power plants that where often owned by the
local municipality (e.g. the Town of Stark). People always want to get
commodities as cheaply as possible. That why Walmart is one of the few
still making a profit.

Small distributed power systems are not able to cost effectively power
industrial operations. As an example, an aluminum processing facility
in northeast Alabama that turn aluminum ingots into rolls of flat
stock required a dedicated 300,000 kVa power feed.

See the link below for the Government's Electric Power Industry 2007:
Year in review.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/electricity/epa/epa_sum.html#one

On 2/10/09, Jason Evans <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Very interesting "Freakonomics" post by Amory Lovins.
>
>  Does a Big Economy Need Big Power Plants?
>  By Amory B. Lovins

http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/09/does-a-big-economy-need-big
-power-plants-a-guest-post/