Happy Friday BESTSers,

        We all know that landfills are becoming full and there is
less space to open new landfills.  In Alachua County we have five
closed landfills and have to take our garbage elsewhere.  Because
organic waste, including food waste, represents a large portion of
municipal waste, anaerobically digesting these materials not only
produces energy but can extend the lifespan of our landfills.
This article is about a county in South Carolina that is turning
their landfill into a powerplant.  Landfill gas will be collected
and used for natural gas and electricity.  Biogas will be produced
from food and yard waste and a biomass power plant will be
constructed.  All in all they estimate the landfill will produce
37 megawatts.  Not too bad for what we used to think of as a
garbage dump.

http://www.istockanalyst.com/article/viewiStockNews/articleid/2986274

Have a great weekend,
Ryan