Hi folks,

For the intro of the book I'm writing, I need about 5 more bullets on the
benefits of large, diverse, less-bounded social networks. I'm having a bit
of a brain cramp, and I need to get this done now! Here are the quick ones
I (and my coauthor Lee Raine) have jotted down. Can you help TODAY?

"	People with strong social support networks enjoy better physical
and mental health than those without such networks. Not only are people
with good support networks less likely to become ill, but when they do,
they recover faster.

"	People with large personal networks tend to live longer than those
with small networks.

"	Those whose friends have a healthy weight - or even those whose
friends of friends have a healthy weight - are more likely to have a
healthy weight also. Similarly, non-smokers are friends with other
non-smokers (Christakis and Fowler, 20#).

"	Personal happiness and satisfaction depend in large part of the
quality of relationships with other people.

"	Those with large diverse networks full of weak ties are more
likely to get better jobs.

"	Those with large personal networks get higher-paying positions at
work, get promoted faster, and generally are more effective in their job
performance.

Please supply the references. The refs. for the ones above are in Endnotes
already which just don't show.

Thanks,

 Barry Wellman

  S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology, FRSC              NetLab Director
  Department of Sociology                        University of Toronto
  725 Spadina Avenue, Room 388                  Toronto Canada M5S 2J4
  http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman            fax:+1-416-978-3963

  Updating history:     http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php