Hi Everyone,

I sent a message off-list to Ines about this, but since the thread has
persisted, I'll let you know my experiences:

1. Academic or not, according to Facebook you are bound by their terms
of use. And Section 2.A.6 says that Facebook properties are their
property. You can only store them for up to 24 hours, and only for the
purpose of optimizing your site.

2. There is another section that says you can keep equivalent
properties so long as they were captured independently of Facebook.

3. Technically, it is not difficult to slurp up facebook data or store
it. I have a php script that will get you the data from a Facebook
page formatted as a GUESS .gdf file and I'll gladly share it.

4. Anonymity is an illusion in these data sets, both from a structural
trace point of view (see Kleinberg's recent work) or just from plain
old detective work (see Michael Zimmer's response to the Lewis et al.
not-Harvard data set). Confidentiality is a far more plausible and
realistic goal.

If you have to go through ethics, depending on your university you'll
either be bound by these terms of use, or they will support you in
your dismissal of Facebook's clearly stated and extensively discussed
terms (just google "Section 2.A.6 Facebook"). But I cannot believe I'm
the first person to bring up the specific terms of use! This in itself
says something about how we as researchers perceive the rights of our
subjects, and it's not good.

Finally, I have a paper on this which i presented at a conference
recently. It was meant as a methods paper and a warm up to a more
extensive one (since the paper only uses my network, which I think I
can easily justify legally). The legalities as well as some technical
and methodological issues are discussed therein:

Take care,
BERNiE

Bernie Hogan
Research Fellow, Oxford Internet Institute
University of Oxford