Note of course that every social network born that
publicizes friend count has a population of people
who play that network as a multiplayer game to
collect the most friends.

Some people do it to spam, some people do it for
marketing, and some people truly have a lot of friends.
It can be hard to tell from a simple count who is who.

For a reference see Hefe in "Science Creative Quarterly" 3
http://www.scq.ubc.ca/increase-the-n/

thanks, and be my frend pleez,

Ed

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 3:28 PM, Valdis Krebs <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Got this email today, thought SOCNET would be interested in how SNA is
> currently applied in parts of the  business world...
>
>>  One of the most interesting metrics we find when we work with our
>> customers is the Friend Count (number of friend links) for each of their
>> consumers.  We see a repeatable curve in a typical client's consumer list:
>> there are many consumers with zero friends; many with low numbers of
>> friends, and then a targeted percentage that have 100 friends or more.
>>
>>  According to a Rapleaf study published in 2008*, about 80% of social
>> media users have between 0-100 friends, and 20% have 100 or more friends:
>> the 80-20 rule.
>>
>> In the world of social media, Friend Count is a key metric of the
>> influence of each consumer.  A consumer who loves your brand and has 100
>> online friends is much more valuable than a consumer with just one friend.
>> And, of course, a consumer that has a bad experience with your product and
>> has 300 friends is a concern multiplied. Many of our clients are now
>> flagging high Friend Count consumers in their database both for a higher
>> level of marketing and customer service.
>
> More data in their press release...
>
> http://is.gd/b4H
>
> Valdis

Edward Vielmetti