Just like volleyball... bump, set and spike!   I'm glad you mentioned
that, Ed.

So many on-line networks are full of promiscuous linkers[PL] -- they'll
link with anyone!  They end up with many "false ties"  that they
believe are "weak ties".  When it comes time to use these imagined weak
ties, they fail -- unlike a real weak tie which brings benefits.

People often hate to turn down a link request on FB, LI, & elsewhere,
even if they do not know the person.   By accepting link requests from
strangers, they accumulate many false ties [i.e. noise] that totally
screw up the social graph for anyone trying to make sense of it.  It
also gives the PL a false sense of their ego net.

So, those of you salivating for FB data, be careful... remember GIGO.

Valdis

On Feb 10, 2009, at 3:35 PM, Edward Vielmetti wrote:

> Note of course that every social network born that
> publicizes friend count has a population of people
> who play that network as a multiplayer game to
> collect the most friends.
>
> Some people do it to spam, some people do it for
> marketing, and some people truly have a lot of friends.
> It can be hard to tell from a simple count who is who.
>
> For a reference see Hefe in "Science Creative Quarterly" 3
> http://www.scq.ubc.ca/increase-the-n/
>
> thanks, and be my frend pleez,
>
> Ed
>
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 3:28 PM, Valdis Krebs <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Got this email today, thought SOCNET would be interested in how SNA is
>> currently applied in parts of the  business world...
>>
>>>  One of the most interesting metrics we find when we work with our
>>> customers is the Friend Count (number of friend links) for each of
>>> their
>>> consumers.  We see a repeatable curve in a typical client's consumer