Nice article, thanks Sandy.

You might want to consider limesurvey if you have a server available. It's online, free, and opensource (so you can change the PHP code if desired). Images and sound can both be accomodated by using html in the questions. The help in the forums is very good and assistance for both english and non-english speakers is available.

Having used both SurveyMonkey and SurveyGizmo in the past, I feel limesurvey to be capable of doing what they do and more. The only downside I've experienced is at one point we wished to ask questions in random order. There was a workaround involving PHP code change (which I wasn't entirely comfortable doing at the time); I've heard this capability is available in the newest version though (1.80).

Carolyn Evans
University at Buffalo

Hi Craig,  Its a question I've been asking as well.  I have noticed others
using Survey Monkey to collect SNA data, then entering into UCINET.  It
something I might try.  It will depend on the population I'm surveying and
whether this would be acceptable to them.  See

Tanjasiri, S. P., Tran, J.H., Palmer, P.H. & Valente, T.W. (2007).  Network
analysis of an organizational collaboration for Pacific Islander cancer
control.   Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved, 18,
184-196.

Sandy Isaacs BScN MSc
Senior Epidemiologist
Centre for Food-borne,Environmental & Zoonotic Infectious Diseases (CFEZID)
Centre des maladies infectieuses d'origine alimentaire, environnementale et
zoonotique (CMIAEZ)
Public Health Agency of Canada / Agence de la sante publique du Canada

Unit 120  - 255 Woodlawn Road West
Guelph, Ontario  N1H 8J1

wk   519-826-2212
cell  519-546-4057

             Craig Shepherd
             <C.Shepherd@LEEDS
             .AC.UK>                                                    To
             Sent by: Social           [log in to unmask]
             Networks                                                   cc
             Discussion Forum
             <[log in to unmask]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     [SOCNET] Online survey tools for
                                       collecting SNA data

             2009-02-16 05:31
             AM

             Please respond to
              Craig Shepherd
             <C.Shepherd@LEEDS
                  .AC.UK>

Does anyone have experience of using online survey packages to collect SNA
data?  If so, which software would you recommend, are there specific
limitations/benefits of the packages you have used, and what were the costs
involved?

Thanks in advance for your help & advice,

Craig