Hello Listers,

At Truman State University, we are creating several success workshops
for students.  One of these workshops in "Be an Active Class
Participant."    In this workshop, we will discuss a few topics
relating to how students can prepare for class in order to be an
active participant.  We wanted to have a short article for students to
read regarding the benefits of engaging in course material, whether it
be reading, tutoring, study groups, talking to friends about the
subject, going over or refining your notes, etc.  Students who engage
in their course materials are better prepared and have a greater
chance at success.

Does anyone have any ideas that come to mind for an article.  We
wanted it to be a couple pages so students would have time to read and
then discuss it.  One portion of the work shop will use the Graff and
Birkenstein book, They Say, I Say in which students will look at
different discussion templates that they can use in class to link
their ideas to the thoughts of others in class.  Our thought is to
have students read the article and utilize a few of these templates in
a discussion.  We wanted to give facilitators 2-3 articles to choose
from.  Any article ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Todd

PS.  I also would like to thank those folks who contacted me about my
posts not coming through.  Thanks!

Todd S. Phillips
Director, Student Success Center
Truman State University