When I write letters of recommendations about my tutors, I emphasize how tutoring helps develop human relations and communications skills, especially the ability to "clearly explain difficult concepts" since they are math tutors.

Kathryn Van Wagoner
Utah Valley University
Math Lab Manager
801-863-8411

>>> "Rerko, Renee" <[log in to unmask]> 2/19/2009 8:08 AM >>>
I actually work in both Tutoring Services and Career Services, so this comes up a lot with my students.

Many of the tutors want to put something about teaching in regards to tutoring.  I am always leery of this because tutors clarify more than teach.  However, I always make sure they have something about working with peers and helping to increase the knowledge of the students they tutor.  Below are some of the bullet points I use with tutors when working on their resumes.

Assist students in ____ courses
Explain and clarify concepts covered in class
Help raise students' test grades over the course of the semester
Tutor college students in ________ to improve knowledge, understanding, and grades.
Work with peers to increase knowledge in the areas of __________________

Renee Rerko, B.A.
Room AD121