From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sharon Green [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, February 16, 2009 1:07 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Offering vocabulary instruction beyond the first year

At Niagara University, we offer a non-credit course in vocabulary development (it's a one-credit equivalent).  All our incoming freshmen take the Nelson-Denny Reading Test.  Students who score below a 12.5 grade-equivalent on the Vocabulary sub-test Test and below 14.0 on the Comprehension subtest are recommended for the course.

Our deans have asked us to consider how to extend vocabulary instruction to reach more students -- and to extend beyond the first year.  So here's my question: Has anyone developed vocabulary courses, modules, or other types of instruction beyond first-year students in developmental courses?  Is anyone doing anything for vocabulary development across all four undergraduate years?  If you'd be willing to share what you're doing, please contact me off-list.

Sharon Green

Reading Coordinator

Niagara University

Office of Academic Support