I, too, have been asked to develop a similar course, although mine will be writing-intensive and may include other students, so I will be watching for responses to your post.

In a related issue, it has been suggested to me by a faculty member that I use an upper division ESL student who is succeeding academically to tutor sophomore ESL students who are struggling--the theory is that there will be empathy. My first reaction was that the idea is based on an assumption and a stereotype:  I can't see how having an ESL student from eastern Europe tutor ESL students from Asia and Africa would be beneficial--not only would they be trying to learn English, they would be trying to learn academic content from someone who speaks English with an accent different from their own, who is still trying to master English, as well. But I have no formal training in working with ESL/LEP students at all, so I would appreciate advice from more knowledgeable colleagues. Thanks.
Linda

-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Laurie Hazard
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 1:00 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: ESL Assistance

Hello All,

My University is looking to develop a  semester  long ESL program.  It
is uncharted territory for us.  We want to accept students slightly
below our normal TOEFL score of 550, and give them a semester to develop
the skills/strategies to matriculate.  Does anyone have a curriculum
they'd like to share?  Or a syllabus?  We have a framework in mind, I
just want to see if we are running in the right direction.

At this point, even pointing me in the right direction would help.

As always, thanks!

Laurie

The information contained in this e-mail message is PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL and is intended for the use of the addressee and no one else.  If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, distribute, reproduce or use this e-mail message (or the attachments).  Please delete the original and notify the sender of the mistaken transmission.  Thank you.