The only truly sustainable solution to deal with algal blooms of this
nature is to stop the nutrient inflow causing the eutrophication.
Where are the minerals that the algae require originating? It could
very well be that the citizens lawns or septic systems  are the
culprits (but not necessarily).
Since the alga in question is a freshwater cyanobacteria and is
capable of fixing atmospheric nitrogen, the primary nutrient
responsible for its incredible bloom capacity is phosphorus.  Find how
the phosphorus is entering the waterways and what measures can be
taken to limit or prevent it.  This would save all the back-breaking
work, and keep the spring waters clean and enjoyable.  Nitrogen should
not be ignored, however, as an abundance of N could lead to blooms of
a different species.

There are innumerable creative solutions to removing the algae, but to
be successful in the long term they all must address the fundamental
issues of nutrient run-off and eutrophication.  This problem is not
limited to the springs of Crystal River or even to Florida.  Around
the globe, humans systems are creating vast algal blooms and dead
zones through the lack of proper nutrient management.

Imagine if these abundant nutrients and the incredible algal growth
could be redirected for energy production...
now that's creative.

cheers,
-Scott J Edmundson