Happy Friday BESTers,

       This article asks an important question: What is trash?  We
all put garbage in plastic bags and put them on the curb.  We
might even know that it gets sent to a landfill, but after that,
most of us tend to forget about what we throw away.  In nature
there is no waste, everything is used as a resource for something
else.  To be sustainable, society must replicate this.  How much
garbage that we throw away could be used for another purpose.  We
all need to look at what we throw away and whether it truly
belongs in the garbage.
       A school outside of Chicago did just that.  A student club
sorted through the school's waste to see what was there.  They
found that of the 1000 pounds a week the school sends to the
landfill, all but 50 pounds could have been recycled.  The largest
proportion was liquids and food waste (both excellent candidates
for biogas, by the way).  This study shows use that be simply
sorting through what we throw away, we can significantly reduce
the demands on our landfills, and could even produce biogas energy
to boot.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/beaconnews/lifestyles/1495467,2_5_AU26_BUCHENOTCOL_S1.article

Have a great weekend,
Ryan