Julie,
Thanks so much. I am passing this on to Karen Goode- Bartholomew our director
----- Original Message -----
From: Julie Luekenga <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 10:22:16 -0600 (CST)
Subject: Re: Therapy Animals

I am with a public, 4-year institution and the director of Disability Services at our college.  This past summer OCR (Office of Civil Rights) and I went through our service animal policy with a fine-tooth comb.  I will include the link to our policy, with which I now feel fairly confident.  The ADA makes the distinction between a service animal and a therapy/comfort animal.  Although both may have benefits, only a service animal-- one trained specifically to respond to the disability-- is protected by the ADA.  The Fair Housing Act will allow comfort/therapy animals in housing situations but, from my conversation with OCR, this is not part of campus residential housing and we abide by the ADA (although it is clearly confusing to have two conflicting legal statements).

If you have any questions or want to talk to me one-on-one about this, please feel free to give me a call.  I've had extensive conversations with OCR both about our policy and what I can and cannot enforce on our campus.

http://www.western.edu/lac/disabilityservices/handbook/service_animal.html

Best,

Julie

Julie Luekenga, Director ▪ Learning Assistance Center and Disability Services ▪ Western State College ▪ Gunnison, CO  81230

Taylor 306 ▪ 970.943.7056 ▪ [log in to unmask]
http://www.western.edu/lac/

This email and any documents attached may contain confidential information belonging to the sender which is legally privileged. The information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity mentioned above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking of any action in reliance to the contents of this information is prohibited.