-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sara Weertz
Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 10:00 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Exam Cram Week?

As part of our Residential Programs, we have a group of students trained as
program assistants (PAs) whose job is basically to get students out of their
dorm rooms and active on campus. Among other things, the  PAs offer two-hour
study halls in each dormitory, four days a week for the duration of the
term.

The Center for Academic Excellence and Residential Programs would like to
combine forces and provide exam cram sessions during the week prior to
Finals (some call it Exam Cram Week, we unofficially call it Dead Week,
don't ask me why). These cram sessions would be "manned" with SI Leaders and
Tutors to assist with test prep strategies and content review, and as well
would include pizza and snacks. I love the Exam Cram model Brian Mathews
offers on The Ubiquitous Librarian (Of special interest are his Exam Cram
flyers and website chock full of finals-related events.):

http://theubiquitouslibrarian.typepad.com/the_ubiquitous_librarian/2007/12/e
xam-cram-posit.html

I am not a fan of the term cram-its negative connotation  suggests a
last-minute attempt to memorize an entire semester's worth of material.
Nevertheless, all students cram to some degree, some using this time better
than others. My feeling is that if you're going to do it, you might as well
do it right. So, we're thinking we might also offer a couple of Exam Cram
Workshops to provide students with solid tips and techniques to get the most
out of finals study. Does anyone out there do something similar? If so,
would you mind sharing your ideas?

Sara Weertz

[cid:[log in to unmask]]

Angelo State University