Ted,
Below are some largely unedited ruminations I jotted down a couple of
years ago. I suspect that they may not be the typical response and,
thus, may get some conversation going.
Nic

Student responsibilities and rights

I address this issue in relation to faculty responsibilities and
rights and students' rights as well as responsibilities. I draw upon
role theory from sociology to think about responsibility and rights.
First, student responsibilities are in reciprocal relationship to
faculty rights (they have a reasonable right to expect students to do
such and so in the name of teaching and learning). Helping students
see faculty perspectives and why the ascribe particular
responsibilities to students helps them UNDERSTAND WHY they have these
responsibilities and not just THAT they have them. This is vital if
you want students to have the motivation to actually take on these
responsibilities. Second, locating this discussion in terms of
students’ rights helps them see their power in the learning process.
Faculty have  responsibilities with respect to students, and these
too, are in reciprocal relationship to students' rights. I have found
that if the focus is solely on what students have to do
(responsibilities) the discussion  can get preachy and students can
feel lectured to. This undermines them really being engaged with the
topic. Moreover, responsibilities without the rights and privileges
that accompany them are mere obligations, and obligations tend to
invoke different motivational dynamics (the root of engagement) than
do responsibilities.  Lastly, it's simply  fair to put the
responsibilities and rights of faculty in dialogue with those of
students and it helps them, as I said, see faculty perspectives. With
responsibilities come rights, with rights come responsibilities.
Students’ emphasis on rights to over their responsibilities may come
in part from the fact that they are rarely discussed by faculty (and
in part from our current litigious ways of thinking) explicitly. Such
a discussion has the added benefit of promoting students' critical
thinking. They should be critical, engaged participants in teaching
and learning--that includes making critical, INFORMED judgments about
teaching and teachers.

Shifts in responsibility from teacher to learner can be interpreted by
students as a lack of caring on the part of instructors. Here’s how:

The shifting of responsibility to students for their own  learning
can  be, and often is, interpreted by students as instructors not
caring whether students learn or not.  I believe students frequently
attribute college faculty’s expectations as a lack  of concern on this
matter not to a redefinition of role boundaries,  but to a moral or
emotional failing (because if it is instructor’s responsibility to
ensure learning and they do not then they are either incompetent
(unlikely given that they are experts) or not trying (uncaring)). The
implications of students’ attributions go much beyond mere role
delineation. When students feel that they are not being appropriately
cared about,  they can feel threatened and disheartened, and even that
they are in a hostile environment.  Which, in turn, can lead to
students pitting themselves in opposition to, rather than putting
themselves in alliance with, their instructors. This, then is the near
opposite outcome of students taking greater responsibility for learning.

A solution may be clarity and transparency of expectations and the
rationale for such expectations on the one hand and, on the other,
acknowledging the rights and priveleges that come with increased
responsibility.

On Mar 28, 2009, at 6:40 PM, Panitz, Theodore wrote:

> How do you encourage your students to take responsibility for their
> learning?
>
>     Please respond to my blog ( http://tpanitz.jimdo.com/ted-s-
> blog/ ) as well as the list.
>
> Here are some questions you might consider when responding to my
> blog question:
>
> ·          What does taking responsibility for one’s learning mean?
>
> ·         How do you implement your approach/philosophy in the
> classroom?
>
> ·         How do your students react to being encouraged to assume
> more responsibility for their learning?
>
> I have a site that may provide you with some interesting links to
> adult education theories. I believe that most of our current
> students are in a transition from being child learners to becoming
> adult learners.To find out what this means and get some additional
> ideas for the blog  please visit:
>
> http://tpanitz.jimdo.com/teaching-sites/adult-eduvation-theories/

> web browser to

__________________________________
"A university is, according to the usual designation, an alma mater,
knowing her children one by one, not a foundry, or a mint, or a
treadmill."-John Henry Newman

__________________________________

Dominic (Nic) J. Voge
Study Strategies Program Coordinator
University of California, Berkeley
Student Learning Center
136 Cesar Chavez Student Center  #4260
Berkeley, CA 94720-4260

(510) 643-9278
http://slc.berkeley.edu

Spring 2009 Schedule

Appointment Times:

Mondays: 2-2:30, 2:30-3

Wednesdays: 10-10:30, 10:30-11

Thursdays: 10-10:30, 10:30-11, 1-1:30, 1:30-2; 3-3:30, 3:30-4

Fridays: 1-1:30, 1:30-2; 3-3:30, 3:30-4

Office Hours:

Strategies For Success: Tuesdays: 4-5

Capstone/Thesis: Wednesdays 4-5