A pair of Bald Eagles established a nest, only 200 feet from a busy
boulevard, in the City of Pembroke Pines, Florida. This was the first
active nest of this Century in Broward County. They laid their first of
two eggs this past December 13, and the first chick hatched on January
17th. At 11 weeks of age,on April 14th, the oldest chick (named "Hope"
in a nationwide  poll conducted by local middle school science students,
who designed and conducted a study of the effects of traffic density on
the adults' proximity to the nest) fledged. After disappearing for 36
hours Hope returned to the nest tree. Today, she reoccupied the nest and
feasted on prey that had been left there by her parents.

On April 6, the younger and considerably smaller chick (Justice)
fledged. Lou Greenwell, one of the cadre of nest watchers captured the
first flight on video. It is amazing to watch the change in the behavior
of this eaglet as it is driven by instinct that finally overwhelms its
fear of flying. Its anxiety is almost palpable. After a short foray, one
of its parents seems to attempt to lure it back to the nest with food,
but we see it crash to the ground.

Florida Fish & Wildlife agents immediately inspected the area where
Justice tumbled, but did not find him, which is probably a sign that he
was not injured. Driven by hunger, if he follows the usual pattern, he
will find his way to the nest tree within 48 hours, This superb video
may be viewed at http://blog.rosyfinch.com

Kenneth C. and Mary Lou Schneider
Miramar, Florida 33029

Web site: http://www.rosyfinch.com