Melissa Forehand and I spent a good day birding our Big Bend coastal areas yesterday (Sunday April 11).  We started at St. George Island around 11:00.  While there was never any serious "fallout," birding was starting to pick up when we arrived and continued to be good at least through the mid-afternoon.  Several birders, including a Florida Audubon Birdathon, were also in the area.  We stayed in the Youth Camp area.  A Scissor-tailed Flycatcher had been reported in the main campground but, too our knowledge, was not seen while we were at the park.  St. George Birds included:

Green Heron
Bald Eagle - adult
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 2 interacting in flight
Red-eyed Vireo - probably the highest avian biomass
Yellow-throated Vireo - They're all over the place now but I seldom see them.  Nice view.
Scarlet and Summer Tanagers - I saw at least 2 males of each.  Females were observed by others.
Rose-breasted Grossbeak - male
Blue Grossbeak
Indigo Bunting
Orchard Oreole

and the wood warblers:
Norther Parula
Yellow Warbler - vibrant male with relatively bright red stripes on breast
Yellow-throated Warbler
Prarie Warbler - bright yellow male
Palm Warbler
Black and White Warbler - male and female
Amercan Redstart - vivid orange male
Kentucky Warbler - my best bird of the day
Common Yellowthroat
Hooded Warbler - male
Worm-eating Warbler - seen by just about everybody but me!

We left around 3:30.  Stopped at Eastpoint for a few minutes.  Good numbers of Black Skimmers and Caspian Terns, one Least Tern.

After dinner at Angelos, we continued to St. Marks NWR around 7 PM to try to find the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher that has been reported recently.  We easily found it along the northern branch of the "T-Dike."  We heard Soras calling but never got a look at one.  After dark we heard from the road at least 2 Chuck-will's Widows singing.  As we drove out of the refuge, we stopped to help 3 snakes cross the road (although the little buggars didn't seen to appreciate the assistance).  Two were banded water snakes and the third was a probable Eastern mud snake.

Marvin Collins
Tallahassee