Hi All,

Florida just added a new species, pending acceptance by the FOSRC !

A White-throated Swift was brought in to the Wildlife Sanctuary of Northwest Florida Thursday afternoon at 4:30. It was found at a condo on the beach in southern Escambia County, FL, and identified by Dorothy Kaufmann, director, and Cheryl Greene.

Bob and I saw the bird this morning (Saturday) when I took the attached photos, and found it alert and active when being handled. The swift appears to be holding its own. Kaufmann said that the bird was weak when brought in, but it is being fed and probably has about a "50-50 chance" of recovery and release.

A Black Swift, Alabama's second record (if accepted by ABRC), was reported from north Alabama this week.....so check out the swifts you see! Interestingly, Florida's only White-collared Swift (January 1981) was recovered from an Escambia Co. beach condo also.

Lucy & Bob Duncan
Gulf Breeze, FL