Please reply to list.  We see similar problems and are in a similar situation.
Chris

>>> Kate Jakobson <[log in to unmask]> 4/24/2009 2:56 PM >>>
Hi All:

I've just been presented with an interesting issue.  One of our nursing
instructors called concerning a Level I (LPN) nursing student from Vietnam
who is struggling, not with individual words, but with whole sentence
semantics.  She understands the words but is having problems with the
meaning of the sentences.  This problem is cropping up for her particularly
with exam questions.  She's been in the states for 15 years, is an excellent
student with a good grasp of listening, reading, speaking, and writing
English but is struggling with analysis, synthesis, and evaluation-level
meaning and questions.

We have such a minimal ESL program (1-2 students/year) that the college has
gone to a computer program and individual tutoring (with a non-ESL person)
for any ESL students who enroll and I've certainly never had this issue come
up at the level of the nursing content.  So this is new for me and I simply
cannot think of any resources that we currently have that might help her.

Does anyone have any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions?  Any help is, as
always, appreciated.

Kate

Kate Jakobson, Director

Tutoring and Student Success