From: Florida Birds [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of CK
Borg
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2009 11:48 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [FLBIRDS] Big Bend Weekend Report: SMNWR 4-19 and SGI 4-20

Folks,
Some nice birds were found while biking the levees of SMNWR this past
Saturday 4/19 including:  Bobolink (trail 122 near SBP2), Eastern Meadowlark
(trail 122 near MP3), Purple Gallinule, Least Bittern (several locations),
singing sora (trail 122 near Picnic Pond), a huge gator partially
obstructing the trail (trail 114), a sizable cottonmouth that recently shed
it's skin (trail 105),  numerous blue flag iris and atamasco rain lilies,
the most abundant butterflies were monarchs and palamedes swallowtails.

SGI yesterday was quite good as John Murphy and I strung together a nice
list of over 70 species... no major fallouts but highlights were:

10 warblers including:  black and white, blue winged, prairie, cape may,
common yellowthroat, worm eating, palm, northern waterthrush, ovenbird, and
northern parula.
two grosbeaks:  blue and rose breasted; PLUS a most cooperative Dickcissel
found by Apalachee Audubons members.  John and I also found a probably
second Dickcissel working the dunes gulfside not far from the campgound.
two buntings:  indigo and painted
two tanagers:  summer and scarlet
two nightjars:  a sleeping chuck wills widow, and a calling common nighthawk
one cuckoo:  yellow billed four vireo:  white eyed, blue headed, red eyed,
and yellow throated two thrushes:  gray cheecked and wood two tyrrant
flycatchers:  eastern kingbird, great crested flycatcher

other tidbits included:
northern gannet (x9)
a lingering common loon (still in basic plummage) common ground doves
courting and mating (a highlight for me... FOTS!) and a slew of expected
waders, shorebirds, gulls and terns

best,
ckborg
tallahassee