Thanks to all for the useful information. I am going to do a bit more research and have more discussions with our Head of English. We are not just looking at computer programs but attempting to negotiate books.

Jessica
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of William W. Ziegler [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, May 01, 2009 10:26 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Computer-assisted English classes with a writing component

There are, but their suitability depends on what your writing faculty
want in a writing component.
I would start by looking at products available with whatever textbooks
your composition faculty are using. Every publisher has developed
web-based instructional software: Pearson has MyCompLab; Bedford has
CompClass; Cengage has English21; McGraw Hill has Connect Writing.