From: Norman Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Fwd: annihilation of the beautiful: clarification
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Thursday, May 7, 2009, 7:08 AM

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Denis Donovan <[log in to unmask]" target=_blank rel=nofollow ymailto="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]> (34 lines) ------------------
Thanks for the responses to my question. I found Franju's Les yeux sans visage an interesting choice -- a film, by the way, I had an interesting opportunity to discuss with Franju in 1979 when he gave me a lift back to Paris from Ionesco's summer place.

However, I see that I need to clarify my request. It seems that disfigurement was perceived to be the focus, which isn't really the case here.

I'm interested in situations in which an individual who, him/herself, does not possess a quality, which could be a physical attribute such as beauty or an ability such as artistic, athletic or musical ability,  which -- and this is crucial -- he/she HAS NEVER HAD, and therefore wishes and seeks to deny it to others who do in fact possess it.

I hope that's a bit clearer. Perhaps some instances in literature, the theater or film will come to mind...

Denis M. Donovan, M.D., M.Ed., F.A.P.S.
Director, EOCT Institute

Medical Director, 1983 - 2006
The Children's Center for Developmental Psychiatry
St. Petersburg, Florida

Mail:   P.O Box 47576
       St. Petersburg, FL 33743-7576
Phone:  727-641-8905