I'm wondering if any of you can share information about using peers to
work with students on academic probation.  We here at Texas Lutheran
University support our students on academic probation with a program we
call Developing Scholars, in which learning support staff members meet
with individual students once every two weeks to discuss time
management, motivation, learning and study strategies, etc. We get good
results with the program but are wondering if peer-led meetings might be
more effective, especially if the peers are students who have
successfully completed the Developing Scholars program and have attained
regular student status (no longer on academic probation). Our theory is
that these peers would be well qualified because they'd recently been
through the program and had been successful and would probably have some
useful insights for other students on probation.  Have any of you tried
using peers to assist students on academic probation? If not, how do you
support probation students? Thanks in advance for your help.

Lisa Cradit
Director of Academic Support
Texas Lutheran University
1000 W. Court St.