Barbara,

See the attached listserv post from New Mexico State University. Also, you may want to touch base with Sheryl Thompson and Karen Abramowitz from California State University Northridge. They presented "Moving the SI Train on a Different Track" at the 4th Int'l Conference (in Sweden!) regarding their SI for credit program with College Algebra. Their student success rates have prompted them to develop a similar program for English (Freshmen Composition, I believe).

sal

-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Barbara Kirkwood
Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 7:43 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Required peer lead recitation

A chemistry professor contacted me yesterday to ask about a program he had heard about with peer-lead, required weekly recitation for science classes.  Students would sign up for a section just as they would for a lab. Students would pay for one additional credit just like for a lab but it would be required for the course.  Student leaders would be required to take a one credit course designed to teach how to run the recitation and learning theory.  I am looking for any other schools who run any programs similar to this idea.  Who teaches the leaders, the science faculty, education department?  Have desired outcomes been met?  What was the student attitude toward the required course?  Has it worked better with graduate assistants or faculty doing the recitation?
Thanks in advance.  You are welcome to contact me directly,  [log in to unmask]

Barbara

Barbara L.S. Kirkwood
Associate Director for Group Academic Support
CASA - Center for Academic Support and Advancement
Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne
(260) 481-6881