For the brave souls who weathered the seas on the Pelgaic birding trip out of Ponce de Leon Inlet yesterday the rewards were great.

At first light we were all getting binoculars and cameras out, milling around when the call resounded throu the boat -- SOUTH POLAR SKUA! We scambled to let everyone kow quickly and most folks got to see this magnificent bird. What a way to start the trip! That was guite a bird for the first bird of the day. The seas were rough, but soon we did pick up scattered birds especially Leach's Storm-Petrels. Then came the first Black-capped Petrel that gave us excellent looks.  We got in the middle of a driving rain squall, when we were almost out of it, another bird came flying right at the boat -- White-tailed Tropicbird! A gorgeous adult came repeatedly right at the boat and stayed very close, looking like it wanted to land on the boat! Extraordinary! We also found al three species of our regular Storm-Petrels -- Wilson's; Band-Rumped; and Leach's. Also Cory's and Audubon's Shearwaters, and Sooty Terns

A great day.

Michael

Michael Brothers
Marine Science Center