Hi Deborah,

What about a stipend for faculty to have them prepare tip sheets and study
guides for students. Ideally, if you had resources in your Center that
faculty could use, that would get them in to the space. You might suggest
that the faculty host a few student focus groups, where students come in
to give the faculty suggestions about the kinds of information they would
like to see on the tip sheets and study guides. You could provide some
refreshments to help make the sessions more "friendly" and less
intimidating for students.

-Roberta

Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
>Greetings!
>

>I am new to this listserv and am looking for advice.  This last year we
>opened a new Learning Center here at our Tribal College (which has a
>student population of about 240)  and have been very successful with
>having lots of student participation.  I want to go to the next level of
>having faculty come into the Learning Center more.  I have noticed that
>whenever a teacher spends a little bit of time in here, invariably
>students will get around to asking questions about the classes.  These
>same students would not go to the faculty members' offices as it would
>be too intimidating.  The problem is that I am having trouble convincing
>faculty members of the importance of spending time in here with the
>students.  We have been brainstorming different ways of 'extrinsic
>motivation' as it seems that the intrinsic motivation is not working as
>quickly as I hoped.  I wanted to write in a grant request for an
>additional stipend for faculty to spend time in the learning center but
>some of my colleagues don't think that is really appropriate extrinsic
>motivation.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to increase faculty
>participation?
>

>Deborah LeClaire
>
>Learning Center Director
>
>Leech Lake Tribal College