From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Deborah LeClaire [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2009 11:11 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: hoping for some suggestions

Greetings!

I am new to this listserv and am looking for advice.  This last year we
opened a new Learning Center here at our Tribal College (which has a
student population of about 240)  and have been very successful with
having lots of student participation.  I want to go to the next level of
having faculty come into the Learning Center more.  I have noticed that
whenever a teacher spends a little bit of time in here, invariably
students will get around to asking questions about the classes.  These
same students would not go to the faculty members' offices as it would
be too intimidating.  The problem is that I am having trouble convincing
faculty members of the importance of spending time in here with the
students.  We have been brainstorming different ways of 'extrinsic
motivation' as it seems that the intrinsic motivation is not working as
quickly as I hoped.  I wanted to write in a grant request for an
additional stipend for faculty to spend time in the learning center but
some of my colleagues don't think that is really appropriate extrinsic
motivation.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to increase faculty
participation?

Deborah LeClaire

Learning Center Director

Leech Lake Tribal College

6945 Little Wolf Road NW, PO Box 180

Cass Lake, MN 56633

(218) 335-4242

The information contained in this e-mail message is PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL and is intended for the use of the addressee and no one else.  If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, distribute, reproduce or use this e-mail message (or the attachments).  Please delete the original and notify the sender of the mistaken transmission.  Thank you.