In a presentation that we do for faculty we make this statement with the following reference.  (I'm not the one who wrote that slide, so I can't confirm any other details.)

Students who CONSISTENTLY interact
 with TRAINED tutors have HIGHER:
First-term GPAs
Cumulative GPAs
Retention

Boylan, H. R., Bliss, L. B., and Bonham, B. S. (1997). Program components and their relationship to student performance. Journal of Developmental Education 20.

Kathryn Van Wagoner
Utah Valley University
Math Lab Manager
801-863-8411

>>> "Roberta Schotka" <[log in to unmask]> 5/22/2009 1:05 PM >>>
Hi all,

I just left a meeting with faculty where I was asked to document why tutor
training is important. Of course we know it is, but can anyone point me to
a few great articles (preferably available online) that I can share with
my colleagues?

Thanks,
Roberta

Roberta Schotka