I remember "caught offguard". I was in 11th grade when Sputnik went up.
Among other hard messages was one from the US President."Where are we going
to get our scientists and engineers for the 60s and 70s?" he asked.  This
appeal worked on me, and I became a good scientist and worked on important
scientific problems.  And now what? It is way past time for another
scientific push on energy like that of the late 60's, when NSF, NIH,
NASA.were important granting agencies that got the scientific ball
rolling.for the space age.  Energy solutions are probably more important.

David A. Carlson PhD 1970.

--
Dave Carlson
731 NW 91st St.