This is also a step backwards because it encourages the continued use of
coal-fired power and presents yet another opportunity for greening an
industry that cannot be greened. For those that don't yet know, there is no
such thing as 'clean coal', even if the carbon dioxide is used to grow algae
as a biofuel feedstock.

Mountain top removal
mining<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountaintop_removal_mining>will
continue to be a part of the picture no matter what improvements we
make to the point source of air emissions. It's interesting that Dow
Chemical is growing algae as a feedstock.  Still, I don't think the coal
industry deserves any kind of green compliments.

Best,

Peter Hoy
Loyola University Chicago