Happy Friday BESTers,

     We've all heard of turning waste vegetable oil into
biodiesel, but a Spanish company has actually developed a process
that converts any type of organic waste into biodiesel.  Using
microorganisms to produce fatty acids, the process is like a sped
up version of natural petroleum production.  It's still in its
very early stages and the yields aren't great (1-2 liters per
kilogram of food waste), but there may be some potential here,
especially with the heated food vs. fuel debate of energy crops.
We'll have to keep on eye on this in the future and for any
integration of this process with biogas digestion.

http://bioenergy.checkbiotech.org/news/process_turn_urban_waste_biodiesel

"Process to Turn Urban Waste into Biodiesel"
Checkbiotech.org
Wednesday June 3, 2009

Have a great weekend,
Ryan