This is also a step backwards because it encourages the continued use of coal-fired power and presents yet another opportunity for greening an industry that cannot be greened. For those that don't yet know, there is no such thing as 'clean coal', even if the carbon dioxide is used to grow algae as a biofuel feedstock.

Mountain top removal mining will continue to be a part of the picture no matter what improvements we make to the point source of air emissions. It's interesting that Dow Chemical is growing algae as a feedstock.  Still, I don't think the coal industry deserves any kind of green compliments.

Best,

Peter Hoy
Loyola University Chicago