Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 14:13:15 -0400
From: Barry Wellman <[log in to unmask]>
To: lee rainie:  ;
Subject: Networked individuals in pop culture

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

Lee Rainie and I are writing a book, Networked, for MIT Press. It's about
Networked Individualism: the swing to people operating their own networks,
in part via the Internet and mobile communciation.

We'd love your help in coming up with iconic figures. The stimulus list is
below, but be creative.

Partial responses would be great. THis is not a pass/fail quiz.

We'll circulate the good ones, though, when we're done.

 Barry Wellman

Let's conjure figures in contemporary fiction who
would be iconic Networked Individuals. Same for movies. Same for
music. Same for TV shows. Same for non-fiction. We would like to
sprinkle references throughout the book to pop culture figures and/or
pop culture episodes that EVERYONE would recognize as emblematic of the
new age of Networked Individualism.