Just posted to my website. "Social Networks: An Introduction" (aka
Networks for Newbies (and oldbies). Alexandra Marin and Barry Wellman
Draft version for Handbook of SNA (Carrington & Scott)

 http://tr.im/ojDi

We begin by discussing issues involved in defining social networks, and
then go on to describe three principles implicit in the social network
perspective. We explain how these principles set network analysis apart
from attribute- or group-based perspectives. In Section II we summarize
the theoretical roots of network analysis and the current state of the
field, while in Section III we discuss theoretical approaches to asking
and answering questions using a network analytic approach. In Section IV
we turn our attention to social network methods - which we see as a set of
tools for applying network theory rather than as the defining feature of
network analysis. In our concluding section we argue that social network
analysis is best understood as a perspective within the social sciences
and not as a method or narrowly-defined theory.
 Barry Wellman