Valdis Krebs (@valdiskrebs in Twitter-speak) notes that Marin-Wellman's
intro paper for the SNA Handbook has gone "wildy wiral" since being
mentioned on a Tweet. (I'm tempted to put "RT" before the last sentence
which as all Tweeps know, means ReTweet -- i.e. re-broadcast to one's list
of Twitter followers).

Valdis modestly doesn't mention that he, himself, had something to do with
this mini-surge (we're still not a hot Trending Topic, unlike the Jonas
Brothers). Even more so was danah boyd (@zephoria), as one of the neat
things about Twitter is that you can sorta track how people got their
info. danah has more than 12K Twitter followers, as compared to my 400+
and valdis' 2200. Size matters! And interest in the field -- danah's
audience includes a lot of online social media folks who seem to have an
interest in social network Analysis. And so possibly does centrality.

The RT's boosted my Follower count from just over 400 to 468 in less
than a day. I assume I'll lose much of these as they realize that I am NOT
filled with daly gems.

Readers of SocNet will also note that I posted a similar announcement on
this list, but it is much harder to track the extent to which it had an
impact or was reposted.

And Most Importantly, credit mostly goes to first author *** Alexandra
Marin *** (@alimarin) who wrote (90%+) the thing, with my editorial
kibbitzing and polishing. Some RTs name me 1st, unfortunately, which
probably fits some Robert Merton principle about how Old Farts get undue
credit. Credit too to Handbook of Social Network Analysis coeditor Peter
Carrington for being wise and supportive. I expect the Handbook will be
great.

Not to overly hog space, if you missed yesterday's post, and want to see
the article itself, it is on my website, in draft form:

http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman/publications/newbies/newbies.pdf

 Barry Wellman