As one who purposely tweeted Barry/Alexandra, let me explain my
rationale. This was actually quite intentional and I hemmed and hawed
over it.  In Twitter, there's a convention that you first reference
the person who passed information on to you. I follow Barry and
learned of the posting from him via email (although I search and now
follow Alexandra as well based on Barry's pointer).  I didn't make it
an explicit RT because Barry emailed me the link and I hate when
people RT across genres cuz it's confusing. I also purposely chose to
use the word "posted" instead of "wrote" so as to not suggest that the
order that I was @checking them was the same as the author order.
(This also made sense in my odd logic because it was Barry who posted
the article to his website.)  Thus my tweet read:

@zephoria: Want to know the basics of social network analysis?
@barrywellman and @AliMarin just posted a fabu intro: http://bit.ly/OdEoj
  #sociology

So while I'm willing to give Barry the Old Fart trophy, that wasn't my
motivation for the order. Of course, herein lies the conflict between
different norms of attribution. But, at the end of the day, my tweet
was meant for my Twitter followers which are overwhelmingly non-
academic and don't think about citation order as much as information
attribution order. (And I say this in part because I've been asking
them all sorts of weird questions about retweeting lately.)

danah

On Jun 14, 2009, at 10:24 AM, Barry Wellman wrote:

> Valdis Krebs (@valdiskrebs in Twitter-speak) notes that Marin-
> Wellman's
> intro paper for the SNA Handbook has gone "wildy wiral" since being
> mentioned on a Tweet. (I'm tempted to put "RT" before the last
> sentence
> which as all Tweeps know, means ReTweet -- i.e. re-broadcast to
> one's list
> of Twitter followers).
>
> Valdis modestly doesn't mention that he, himself, had something to
> do with
> this mini-surge (we're still not a hot Trending Topic, unlike the
> Jonas
> Brothers). Even more so was danah boyd (@zephoria), as one of the neat
> things about Twitter is that you can sorta track how people got their
> info. danah has more than 12K Twitter followers, as compared to my
> 400+
> and valdis' 2200. Size matters! And interest in the field -- danah's
> audience includes a lot of online social media folks who seem to
> have an
> interest in social network Analysis. And so possibly does centrality.
>
> The RT's boosted my Follower count from just over 400 to 468 in less
> than a day. I assume I'll lose much of these as they realize that I
> am NOT
> filled with daly gems.
>
> Readers of SocNet will also note that I posted a similar
> announcement on
> this list, but it is much harder to track the extent to which it had
> an
> impact or was reposted.
>
> And Most Importantly, credit mostly goes to first author *** Alexandra
> Marin *** (@alimarin) who wrote (90%+) the thing, with my editorial
> kibbitzing and polishing. Some RTs name me 1st, unfortunately, which
> probably fits some Robert Merton principle about how Old Farts get
> undue
> credit. Credit too to Handbook of Social Network Analysis coeditor
> Peter
> Carrington for being wise and supportive. I expect the Handbook will
> be
> great.
>
> Not to overly hog space, if you missed yesterday's post, and want to
> see
> the article itself, it is on my website, in draft form:
>
> http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman/publications/newbies/newbies.pdf
>
> Barry Wellman
>
>  S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology, FRSC               NetLab Director
>  Department of Sociology                  725 Spadina Avenue, Room 388
>  University of Toronto   Toronto Canada M5S 2J4   twitter:barrywellman
>  http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman             fax:+1-416-978-3963
>  Updating history:      http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php

------

"taken out of context, i must seem so strange" -- ani
http://www.zephoria.org/thoughts/
http://www.danah.org/
@zephoria